ArtsyHome.com
Brecks and Walkers Mills II Large Brecks and Walkers Mills II Large
$ 153.00 In stock
Product description: This work began as a high resolution aerial photograph, then I added artistic effects to the image, retaining most of the detail of the subject building, providing a traditional Brandywine School look but from a unique aerial perspective. This is Breck's Mill and Walker's Mill in Henry Clay Village on the Brandywine River. The original photograph was taken from about 150 feet above the entrance to the Breck's Mill Post Office, facing north toward Walker's Mill. The granite building on the left is Breck's Mill, originally built in 1813 and rebuilt in 1846 after a fire. Built by mill owner William Breck for his new wife Gabrielle du Pont, it is just down river of Hagley Mills, the early du Pont black powder mills. Today Breck's Mill houses the Montchanin Post Office, André Harvey's Sculpture Studio and the Somervile Manning Gallery. In the 1970s, Breck's Mill was used for musical and theatrical rehearsals and performances by the Brandywiners Society and the Breck's Mill Cronies. Today, Breck's Mill houses the Montchanin Post Office, André Harvey's Sculpture Studio and the Somervile Manning Gallery. Part of Henry Clay Village. Walker's Mill, was built by Joseph B. Sims, a Philadelphia merchant, between 1813 and 1815 as a cotton spinning mill and 4 “bank houses” for workers and their families. Originally called the Simsville Cotton Factory, by the 1840s damage from a flood and low-cost British textile imports caused the business to fail. Alfred du Pont bought the property in a sheriff's sale. By the late 1840s the mill came to be known as Walker's Mill. Why? The lease showed Joseph Walker as a tenant until about 1880 (he never owned the property). It operated under different owners as a cotton mill until the 1930s, before reverting to use by the DuPont Company and then Eleutherian Mills - Hagley Foundation. The windows on the lower level are faux and painted grey. Walker's Mill is considered the number one subject of photographers and artists in Delaware. The Breck's Mill Area-Henry Clay Village Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This is a Giclée fine art print, using archival inks on cold-press, acid-free 100% cotton rag watercolor paper, with an estimated 200 year archival life. Prints are 15.5” x 19.5” to fit mat opening of 16” x 20” and frame out to standard size frame holding a 20” x 24” mat. This is one of 250 limited-edition prints. Print is hand-signed and numbered by the artist and comes with a Certificate of Authenticity.
 
Report this Product

$145.00 USD

Brecks and Walkers Mills II Large

Fine Art Prints by Michael Melloy

Artwork Description: This work began as a high resolution aerial photograph, then I added artistic effects to the image, retaining most of the detail of the subject building, providing a traditional Brandywine School look but from a unique aerial perspective.

This is Breck's Mill and Walker's Mill in Henry Clay Village on the Brandywine River. The original photograph was taken from about 150 feet above the entrance to the Breck's Mill Post Office, facing north toward Walker's Mill.

The granite building on the left is Breck's Mill, originally built in 1813 and rebuilt in 1846 after a fire. Built by mill owner William Breck for his new wife Gabrielle du Pont, it is just down river of Hagley Mills, the early du Pont black powder mills. Today Breck's Mill houses the Montchanin Post Office, André Harvey's Sculpture Studio and the Somervile Manning Gallery. In the 1970s, Breck's Mill was used for musical and theatrical rehearsals and performances by the Brandywiners Society and the Breck's Mill Cronies. Today, Breck's Mill houses the Montchanin Post Office, André Harvey's Sculpture Studio and the Somervile Manning Gallery.

Part of Henry Clay Village. Walker's Mill, was built by Joseph B. Sims, a Philadelphia merchant, between 1813 and 1815 as a cotton spinning mill and 4 “bank houses” for workers and their families. Originally called the Simsville Cotton Factory, by the 1840s damage from a flood and low-cost British textile imports caused the business to fail. Alfred du Pont bought the property in a sheriff's sale. By the late 1840s the mill came to be known as Walker's Mill. Why? The lease showed Joseph Walker as a tenant until about 1880 (he never owned the property). It operated under different owners as a cotton mill until the 1930s, before reverting to use by the DuPont Company and then Eleutherian Mills - Hagley Foundation. The windows on the lower level are faux and painted grey. Walker's Mill is considered the number one subject of photographers and artists in Delaware.

The Breck's Mill Area-Henry Clay Village Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

This is a Giclée fine art print, using archival inks on cold-press, acid-free 100% cotton rag watercolor paper, with an estimated 200 year archival life. Prints are 15.5” x 19.5” to fit mat opening of 16” x 20” and frame out to standard size frame holding a 20” x 24” mat. This is one of 250 limited-edition prints. Print is hand-signed and numbered by the artist and comes with a Certificate of Authenticity.

Michael grew up in Wilmington, Delaware. He is a graduate of Wilmington Friends School, Boston College and the University of Virginia. He has lived and worked in Boston, Washington, D.C, Manhattan, San Francisco, Lisbon, Portugal and Wilmington, Delaware, taking up photography with his travels. In late 2013, Michael did some long-term traveling, spending six months in Ecuador. Prior to the trip, he upgraded camera equipment and invested in a quadcopter with a camera, learning how to do aerial pictures and videos. While most people who fly focus...read more