December 1, 2011
Bio for Tom Holmes
- Travels with the Long Island Youth Orchestra as a percussionist to China, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Samoa, Tahiti, Hawaii, and Hong Kong. 1982-1983
- BA in music theory and composition from the Crane School of Music, New York. 1987
- Custom fine art crate creator for Marshall Fine Arts, 1988-1989 Moves art work though out New York for major Museums.
- Creates Holmes Birdhouse Company. 1989-1993 Wins best in wood NYC gift Fair 1992.
- Works as environmental educator on sloop Clearwater summer of 1989. Meets his wife Carol.
- Moves to Greeley PA begins work on sculpture park and studio. 1992 - present.
- Begins studying with Ben Hume, Master instrument maker NYC 1992 - present.
- Works in custom construction 1993- present.
The "Wright" bird house chosen to represent and tour with the "Out of The Nest: Artists' Birdhouses traveling exhibit. A division of Mid America Arts Alliance. 500,000 attendees expected to view this work over its 4-year tour of American museums.
Designs draws and builds the Tower House on the Delaware River in Callicoon NY 2004-2005 virtually by himself.
- Becomes a member of the co-operative, "The Art Space" a private gallery in Milford PA. 2001
- Begins private and public sculpture and ice installations at age 36.
- Produces Milford's first ice work winter of 2004, and winter 2005, 2006.
- Creates Major installation at Lookout Sculpture Park in PA, summer 2006
- Accepted into Gallery BAU in Beacon NY 2007
- Invited to Paris by Suzanne Wibro to create a sculpture for the Lookout Foundry 2007
- First NY Sculpture show at the Amsterdam Whitney Gallery in Chelsea NYC May-June 2007
- Opens summer show, "Overlook" at ECCE in Barryville NY.
- 6th year running June show at The Artery, Milford PA, "Broken Glass, Falling Pieces."
- Full Moon Rising, First stage production of Sound Sculpture, June 23rd, 2007
- BWAC's 25th Anniversary Outdoor Sculpture Show, "Still Flying" Shows: "Wind Harp- Looking East"
- DiGit Festival 2007. Produces "Percussive Echos, Rivers Edge" an outdoor percussion, synth, trombone and voice one hour composition.
- Represented at Frank Lloyd Wright Museum at Falling Water and the FLW Preservation Trust in Chicago. 2007
- Opens solo show, Vistas and Horizons at BAU, Beacon New York, October 10th , 2007
- Finishes construction on the Broad Street Alley Project with business partner Chris Hobbs. The real estate investment includes 2 buildings totaling 5600 sq. feet completely rehabilitated as a historic restoration. The court yard connecting the two buildings is a testament to Tom's post modern design in cedar and stone. December 2006-December 2007.
- Group show at bau in Beacon NY, "With a Little Help From Our Friends" invitational. Shows ice photos and steel sculpture. January 2008.
- Continuing to show at ECCE in Barryville NY. On going through out 2008.
- Group show with 60 plus international and national sculptors at "The Sculptors Dominion", San Antonio Texas, April 5-27, 2008
Tom and Carol head back to Leadeu Sculpture Foundry and Park to complete Tom's monumental mobile, "Chariot to the Sun". April 2008.
Group show at GAC, Garrison Art Center, Garrison NY. They request 3 pieces. Cantilever Construction, Cross Currents, Star Burst. May-July, 2008
Group show, LBIF, Long Beach Island Foundation, Loveladies NJ. Works on Paper. Black eye is a paper mask.
Group photo show at SAC, Smithtown Arts center, NY. Accept ice photo, Trapped in the Blue Sea. May 2008
Group Show at Annmaries Garden. Associated with the Smithsonian. Shows with part of the Hirshhorn Collection including Picasso, Miro and Calder. Summer 2008. They accept Cross Currents
Time travel back to the 20th century, music show DiGit festival 2008, Narrowsburg New York
Solo Show, Artery in Milford PA May-June 2008 “Still Breaking Stuff....” Stone, steel and ice photos
Solo show,BAU Beacon New York, Proposal of the Drunken Poet, July-Aug, 2008
Susquehanna Art Museum, VanGo show 2008-2009 Ice photos
Group show, Currents. The Farm Show. Hudson River Sculpture Event 2008. Sculpture of choice.
Lights... December 2008 bau, Beacon NY
Winter Lights, Festival of Ice, January-February 2008-2009, Milford PA
Ice Light at the Artery, Milford PA January 2009
Southern Vermont Arts Center Outdoor Sculpture Exhibit, May 2 - October 25th, 2009
Beacon on Fire, Hudson Beach Glass, October 2009
Collaborative Concepts at Saunder’s farm, fall 2009
Garrison Art Center, Garrison NY, stone and steel. Ice and steel....... October and January 2009-2010
Solo show at BAU Beacon NY October 2010
Marble Falls Texas permanent installation of two stone and steel works
Receives major commission from Westchester Medical, Andrew Fredman AIA, NYC for waterfall project 2010
July Solo show at 210 Broad street Gallery, Milford, 2010
The Bullet Show opens 9-11-2010 at bau in Beacon NY, solo conceptual show
Lecture at NY studio residency DUMBO Brooklyn NY
Art Prize, Grand Rapids Michigan, Grand Valley State University, Star Burst and Semi permanent installation.
Group shows at Brook House Gallery continuing 2010-2011
NEPA Regional group show at Scranton University 2010
Collaborative Concepts farm Show 2010. Sound Sculpture
Lecture for Beacon Artist Series, January 6th 2011
Group Show at Amos Eno in DUMBO NY, 111 Front Street, 2011
-Rockland Arts Center, New York, permanent installation, Fall 2011
-Scranton University, Group show......... NEPA regional, Dec 2010
-Winter Lights, monumental Ice, Milford PA, January, 2011
-Amos Eno group show in Brooklyn NY, opens Feb 3, 2011
-Mobile added to the permanent collection of the Hudson County Community College, 2011
-One year installation at North Georgia State University, 2011-2012
-Providence Rhode Island 1 year installation, Nature as Art, 2011-2012
-Big Art 2 Emerson Art Center, Concord MA, 2011-2012
-Skylight Gallery, Chelsea NYC, May-June 2011
-New Taste NYC, Ice sculpture, May 20-21, 2011
-Pamona Art center, NY, 2011
-bau, Beacon NY, 2011 solo show, October 2011
-Stowe Vermont Art Center, 2011-2012
-Hilton Head, Outdoor sculpture, 2011-2012
Tom Holmes is a sculptor working in stone, metal, wood, light, ice and water. He works seasonally, tracking the weather. Different temperatures demand independent responses to materials and approaches. "Ice follows the freezing mark of Winter, stone and steel the exterior work space of Summer. Spring begins the search for materials and Fall settles all debts; emotional, physical and intellectual."